Monday 11 July 2011

You must be kidding me!

It's happened again - like too many times before!

They've discontunued another one of my favourites. And this time it's a perfume. According to the lady behind the counter, it happened two years ago already - just like that. No warning, no survey, no reason I can think of that would justify this treacherous act - by my standards that is - just gone, forever. I usually have a spare bottle of all my perfumes but now that this special fragrance of mine has been running low, I started looking to buy the next bottle or two to last me the next year or two. Just to be told: it's been discontinued. I almost started to cry right there and then in the middle of the store. She must be mistaken, this salesperson, or misinformed, or mis-something. But alas, after asking at another store the next day, the salesperson dared to tell me that she's never even heard of that fragrance - how dare she! I'm at a loss without this fragrance - truly the most beloved smell I've ever known. And of course I have lots of other bottles of perfume, but none as close to my heart as this one. This smell has become part of my identity. The smell my husband knows me by, with which memories are called upon. That smell and I were one. And now it's gone.

Maybe I should phone Charlize Theron and ask her if she can't find me a bottle of this - she should have some contacts since she is the face of the perfume. And not the golden bottle - the SILVER one please.

The reason why this news was met with such an extreme reaction from me, is the fact that it was just one more thing I love, that disappears, with me not having any control or say over it. It's so sad that it's almost funny and my family is starting to joke about it even. Every dish I love in a restaurant gets taken off the menu sooner or later, depending on how much I love it. The more often I visit the restaurant and the more attached I get to the meal item, the higher the probability gets of the item being removed from the menu as if it never even existed.

I write e-mails, I beg them to bring back that specific meal item every time I go back there, I surf the web for the recipe, I cry and bemoan my fate to everone who takes the chance to listen to me, but no way - it's gone!! "Hardly anyone ordered it ma'am". But I ordered it you fool - every time I came here, and I couldn't have come every day of every week just so there would be a big enough demand in your estimation to keep the item there!!!

Why do they keep doing this?? What have I done wrong? Seriously. Who informed the "track-your-favourites-so-we-can-take-it-away" police to follow my every move? Because they sure are diligent in recalling everything I like. They know just who to contact in order to discontinue the restaurant items, potato chips, perfume, cooldrink, jackets (or blazers if you will) and whatever else I like. It's creepy crazy. Or do I have a singular taste, in that I am the only person on this planet earth, buying the things I do and that no one else shares my sentiment about certain things and therefor the demand is not big enough so the manufacturer/restauranteur has no choice but to quit production. The old principle of supply and demand which goes against everything I believe in. If I have great taste, why should I be penalised because not enough people catches on to my preferences?

I can almost replace each and every favourite thing in The Sound of Music song by the same name, with things that have been my favourites but no longer exists!

The other thing that bugs me is the fact that when I do find a thing I like - just before "they" stop production of that thing too, my size is ALWAYS the one that's sold out - at ALL the stores who carries this thing. You see what I mean? They have it in for me - big time. Just can't figure out why.

I'm at my wits end. I may just as well throw in the towel. What the heck - they're probably already tracking down the next thing to quietly tuck away in the vaults of  "favourite things never to be seen again".

Wear yourselves out people! I'm quitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment