Thursday 8 September 2011

Exercise - an update.

Today was the first day with a personal trainer. The do-it-yourself-at-home program did not prove to be too effective. Way too many distractions and too close to the refrigerator.

Lovely girl she was, this trainer. So genuinely concerned that I might have some blood pressure problems or something worse, since I wanted to faint after fifteen minutes of her regimen. The nausea rolled over me like a Hawaii-sized wave and I had to lie down too many times in order to prevent myself from going to the other side - if you catch my drift. Not even to mention the dizzyness. And yes, I had my Weetbix and muesli before the session but maybe it was eaten too close to such session, I realise now. The only problem I have, is not something remotely medical, but just a plain and simple case of being UNFIT! For way too long. It's just that I've been skinny most of my life and now I need to catch up to the fact that my body have indeed changed - not with my consent though.

Heaven knows how I got through the hour. When I asked her how much time we have left - sure that I had been suffering for at least 45 minutes -  she assured me that we're exacly half an hour into the workout. Maybe she got her watch from her grandmother or the battery needs a change because I'm sure time is not that slow.

I don't know how I got to my car, but once inside the car, I just sat there. Unaware of time or space. The watch in the car showed that 17 minutes have passed before I had the strength to actually start the car. This does not feel healthy. And it surely does not feel safe to drive in a condition like this. It would be safer to text and drive than to navigate a car after a workout like this. Never have I realised the need for speed control as I have today. Just the fact that I did not need to lift my leg for the gas pedal but only for the occasional brakes, got me through the traffic at all.

Skiing and golfing and the occasional biking and yoga did not proof to add anything to my physique after all. Not to mention the apres-ski and in my case even apres-golfing. A girl's gotta eat. It's just  that the shift is so big when one was used to always eat whatever one wanted without worrying about the after-effects and then one day it's gone. My size zero days gone and lost forever. A very faint memory. I'd' jump for joy at a size 4 at this stage. But just give me time. I've only just begun. Good thing I paid this trainer in advance...

The irony of it all was the fact that I had to stop by the car dealership on my way home since the bluetooth in the car was giving problems and I had to get it fixed right away. As from last week the fine for speaking on your cell phone or texting is a whopping $172 and all of a sudden my bluetooth didn't work - or the car's, rather. So when I apologised to the guy who helped me with the bluetooth dilemma for the state I was in, he commented: "good to have a healthy lifestyle". If he only knew...

My last stop before going home, was the grocery store, where I bought 2 apples, 2 bananas and 2 peaches. And sushi - just to make the transition easier.

I 'll keep ye posted. Happy running to you crazies out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment