Wednesday 7 September 2011

It's not Spring - it's Autumn!

All over facebook last week, my friends have been commenting and celebrating the first day of Spring. As if they could even call their winter actually Winter...I guess when you're used to - 20 and -30 degrees Celsius, this is open for debate.

But nevertheless, I'll let them have their joy and happiness for the day. Who am I to be a party pooper and rain on their parade?

The thing is, their celebration of  Spring means my farewell to Summer. It just reminds me a wee bit too soon that another winter is on its way for Canada. Their Spring is my Autumn.

It was only last week that I started noticing the leaves starting to turn yellow around my house and on the golf course. Trying to distinguish between a falling leaf and a golf ball, can be quite challenging. The other signs of the season turning is the fact that I am taking along a light coat or cardigan more often than not when I go out and then also adding an extra blanket on the bed at night.

I do love Canada, but goodness me, the winters are loooooong! But without these winters, our summers wouldn't be as fabulous as they are. The super long days, the brightest greens I've ever seen, the temperatures during the days just right - the only downside though are the gazillions of mosquitos !!

Isn't it true though, that in life it's the same as in nature. One person's Spring can mean someone else's Autumn, and someone's Summer is another's Winter - figuratively speaking. In Afrikaans there is a saying : Die een se dood is the ander een se brood. One person's happiness can cause the next person pain and so on and so forth. You get my point.

So just remember when you're digging out your spring dresses and short shorts, that someone else is preparing to brace themselves for another long and dark winter. And by bracing, I mean: re-arranging closets, unpacking coats and turtlenecks, scarves and gloves, corduroy pants and wool skirts, tights and long socks, boots and blankets, duvets and cashmere...

On the other hand - let me try and stay positive, looking for the silver lining here - while you may be splashing in your swimming pool, I may be skiing down a snow covered slope!

But in the meantime I need to start raking all these leaves...

Till next time, spring bunnies!

No comments:

Post a Comment