Monday 27 June 2011

Are you a realist or just a plain pain in the ass?

What is more annoying than being around someone who ALWAYS see the worst in any situation and in anything? You're right - nothing!

I'm sure you must know someone who always sees the glass as half empty, or dirty, or made of unsafe materials, or heaven forbid, cracked or stolen. Feel free to fill in any bad thing you can think off associated with something as simple as a glass. Now imagine this scenario with EVERY little thing you encounter on a daily basis. Joy killers, they are.

These types always expect the worst thing to happen - and act almost satisfied if it indeed happens as they predicted it would be and almost a tiny bit disappointed if it doesn't. Something bad is always imminent to happen according to these types but for the most part it never does. Now of course I know everything in life involves some kind of risk, but I am of the school who argues that I will deal with the worst WHEN and IF that ever happens - not a moment too soon. Of course one has to have a plan and be responsible and take precautions where needed and blah-blah-blah, but for goodness sake, just lighten up a little, will you? Life is way too short to make provision for each and every scenario whether it's going to happen or not. I've got things to do and places to see and shops to visit and laundry to do. I cannot sit around making plans for your every fear.

These types don't want to leave the house for fear that the house may burn down in their absence or a pipe will burst or any number of disasters you can name. They don't want to eat by candlelight for fear that the smoke alarm will be triggered. They don't want to try a new restaurant because of the remote possibility that it may not have a good chef. Or go on holiday in June since there's an odd chance of a hurricane then. Or take up golf in the event that they may not be good at it or worse even, start liking it too much. The list can just go on ad infinitum.

Let me tell you, I do not have the imagination these types have to think up all the reasons and causes for which things can go wrong and how, and it's the kind of imagination I'm glad I'm lacking.

The saying goes: if you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space. And by this I don't say I am the most adventurous person out there - I'm not, but I am also not going to confine myself to the "known", the "predictable" and the "safe". One limits oneself too much already as it is and don't need any more reasons not to do something.

I've just finished watching a docu-series by Shania Twain titled "Why not?" in which she questions what to do and what not. She says one always has to ask the question Why? or why not?  and the trick is to know which one to ask when.

I may not be the one to preach on this topic since I am mostly the one who needs preaching TO, but like they say: don't do as I do, but rather do as I say.

So my question really is: when are you a realist and when are you just a plain pessimist? You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment