Wednesday 1 June 2011

Do you really think I have enough chairs now?


Like most people living in a different country than their families, I resort to e-mails with lots of photos to keep them informed of my far away life. Everything gets photographed - from what I cook for supper, what I bought yesterday and the day before, when I move even the slightest little thing around in my house, etc. etc. - you get the picture (literally!).

So it just so happens that we've just finished renovating our house - that's a whole novel on its own - and once again the usual photographs were taken and sent to all the relevant family members. Snugged in between the reno photos were  pictures of 2 new chairs we (the husband and I - or as my neighbour call hers: "hoosbundt") also bought since the previous batch of photos were sent.

With the sending of these I naturally had to get the feedback from said family members, otherwise: what's the point? First remark my sister sends back: "I think you have enough chairs now". Her next sentence: "and tea cups". And next : :"and mannequins...and fur coats...and posters" . To explain the "poster" part - we also collect antique posters, signs and photos.

At first I didn't know what she was talking about. I want to know what she thinks of the renovations we did that took more than 2 months to complete and cost us THOUSANDS of dollars - yes, not Rands (South Africa's currency). Three bathrooms no less. But not a word on this is mentioned...

Let me just be clear: I am not a hoarder, and no, I am not in denial. I am a collector. Like my Mom always says: "a thing of beauty is a joy forever". It just so happens that I collect clothes too - why not? I have the closet space and the selection in North America is just overwhelming. My sister - fine one to point the finger at me - went crazy in these stores when she visted me last year for the first time since I've been in Canada . I still don't think I moved here as such, although I am a legally recognised Canadian. Be still my "boere heart.

So far she hasn't mentioned the watch collection yet and a few other things as well...But I won't make excuses - yet... I love beautiful things . I am no minimalist and never will be. That's just not who I am.

My only problem with my collections as such, is that I am now seriously running out of room to put all these things. The extra closets we added with this recent renovations, are almost full again although I am not one to put my things in closets. I want to see them - yes they are my friends - everyday. Makes for  a lot of extra work - don't you just hate dusting too? - but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The only solution I can see for this "lack of space" problem, is to buy another house and house a few collections in this second house. And maybe this second house should be in South Africa where it will be easier for my friends and family to visit me.

And then I don't need to send them any more e-mails with attachments...

3 comments:

  1. Well, I had a field day when writing my blog on Minimalism, not that I am such an ardent disciple of that supposedly philanthropic philosophy.
    On reflection then, I have decided to convert to Maximalism, or is that another word for Capitalism. Let's call it a type of New-Capitalism - one with grace and style - not as unbounded and unashamedly opulent and brutally excessive as Capitalism.
    I love your choice of chairs - if we can agree that they are also made to sit on, and can't wait to see your collection of China or whatever is next in line.
    Regards from a new disciple of the New-Capitalism - BRING IT ON - but please do not take me to the other extreme of Present Day Real Capitalism, from which there is no return, cure or recovery !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason I didn't comment on your watch collection, is because mine is not too small either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To have 2 degrees and have chairs for friends makes the urge to run to Canada and show you that we love you even more urgent and critical than I thought!!!

    ReplyDelete